Wind Europe--Save the Date
Amsterdam, November 29, 2017 - As the wind industry continues its unprecedented growth, join over 8,000 participants this November for the WindEurope Conference & Exhibition in the Amsterdam RAI Exhibition and Convention Centre. WIND EUROPE will be held at Amsterdam's RAI Centre.
This is certainly a jour-fixe of the wind industry. Please join a topical session on Onshore Wind Industry: Where do we go next?
Offshore wind turbines will soon be exceeding 10MW in order to lower LCOE. But how can onshore reach the same level facing the dual challenge of more restrictions (noise, transportation, etc.) and less wind resources being available? New turbine architectures, advanced materials and production processes at lowest possible costs are needed in order to keep up with the market demand. What technological innovations can support such market development? What improvements in turbine components can help to optimize the complete value chain?
- analyze the current trends in onshore technology from a key player in business intelligence
- assess the potential of a lightweight superconducting drivetrain developed in a joint European project
- realize how new materials allow to reduce wind turbine loads
- reflect on the possible benefits of taller wind turbine towers.
At this session Jesper Hansen (Envision Energy, Denmark) .is invited to present on “Towards the First Installation of a Direct Drive Superconducting Generator on a Commercial Wind Turbine” . Follow the embedded link to see Jesper's bio and details of his presentation. We will update the link once the foils are publicly available.
Progress Featured at the European Conference on Applied Superconductivity (EUCAS 2017)
Geneva, September 18, 2017 - EUCAS 2017 was held in the International Conference Centre of Geneva (CICG), hosted by CERN in collaboration with the University of Geneva and EPFL-SPC.
EUCAS is a worldwide forum for scientists and engineers, and provides an ideal platform to share knowledge and the most recent advances in all areas of applied superconductivity: from large-scale applications to miniature electronics devices, with a traditional focus on advanced materials and conductors. The broad scope is at the same time a challenge and an opportunity to foster novel, inter-disciplinary approaches and promote cross-fertilization among the various fields of applied superconductivity. The EcoSwing collaboration did not miss out on this event.
Markus Bauer (THEVA Dünnschichttechnik GmbH) had an invited presentation on “Coated conductor HTS tape for energy and magnet applications” . Following the presentation links you can retrieve a copy of the slides.
Presentations at the 25th International Conference on Magnet Technology Available Online
Battle of Wind Turbines at Wind Energy Denmark
WIND ENERGY DENMARK – the Danish Wind Industry’s Annual Event is the one Danish wind event that brings together the entire wind industry and research community under one roof for a two-day conference and exhibition. In this unique setup, industry meets research, onshore meets offshore even across borders. The event takes place from 26-27 October 2016 at DOK5000 in Odense.
In a particularly exciting session called Battle of Wind Turbines, our colleague Jesper Hansen will be talking about drive train options and review superconductivity projects in the wind industry. Of course, he will be providing an update on EcoSwing, as well. This is the entire session:
- 14:00-14:15 Asger B. Abrahamsen, Senior Research Scientist, DTU Wind Energy: New direct drive technologies of the INNWIND.EU project: Superconducting vs pseudo direct drive
- 14:15-14:30 Jesper Hansen, Coordinator of EcoSwing consortium, Envision Energy (Denmark): Superconducting direct drive development of the EcoSwing project. Download Jesper's presentation here .
- 14:30-14:45 Hans-Joergen Thougaard, Magnet Specialist, Siemens Wind Power (Denmark): Characterization of hard magnetic materials in direct drive wind turbines
- 14:45-15:00 Anders Bach Andersen, Senior Product Manager, MHI Vestas Offshore: Selecting the optimum solution for drivetrains, seen from a wind turbine owner's perspective
- 15:00-15:15 Discussion Drive Train mix in 2030?
Access the conference website: WIND ENERGY DENMARK - Annual Event 2016.